Friday, April 29, 2011

Prints in progress and a Royal ceremony

Lilac in bloom at the Old Rectory
There is so much to be inspired by at this time of year. The garden is bursting with blossom, rhododendron flowers and trumpeting tulips. The azaleas are zinging; bees are buzzing around the scented lilac and and the stately beech trees offer gentle green canopies under our glorious April sunshine. The children are enjoying just simply playing and being in the garden; collecting worms for the terrapins, building moats around the herbaceous border and acquainting themselves with the world of bugs and garden beasties - Childhood bliss and plenty of fun - inspiration for our next collection of prints which will be shown at Bubble this June. Although, time is of the essence - I think we have about 6 weeks until Bubble which will fly in. There is much to get through over the weekend if we are to get our sample prints over to Portugal in time to sign off on lab dips and new garment styles - summer t-shirts for girls and boys and a fun and versatile ribbed cotton dress.

What better time than now to design for  Spring/Summer 2012 as summer fever is everywhere  - it gives an energy and vigour to our design process, albeit a little bit frantic. Gardens in bloom are sometimes psychologically hard to enjoy as you know they're going to be over all too soon - thoughts like 'next time I see that bloom we'll all be a year older, things might be different then, all is well with the world now  - live in the moment etc.' push their way in. The only answer is to take a photo on the iphone and sally forth with the jobs in hand - romantic gardens do that to you as you get a bit older!
Prints in progress

Without wishing to directly use my children as product research tools, I briefly described to them today what Stephanie and I plan to put on our next prints. I have to be very subtle in asking what they think as one of my children in particular doesn't like to see disappointment in my face(which he is very quick to pick up oneven if I'm trying my best to hide it!) So I wait for the opportune moment when no one's picking an argument and I casually throw out the question that if they were to design a cool top to sell to the shops what would it be like. This kind of market research on one's own kids is a bit biased and warped as the answers that I get back are very predictable to their individual personalities. Themes range from Butterflies to Guns but I am glad to say that Beetles and Dragonflies did get a mention which is where we're at right now!

Wedding bells sing!
On a fashion note - I thought Kate Middleton's wedding dress was incredibly beautiful. I don't think there was a single detail in it that jarred with her presence and the essence of the day. My favourite image of the day was of Kate and Prince William leaving the Abbey in their 1902 carriage flanked by red and gold cavalry. The colours and sheer sensory elegance were all but too much. Raise a toast to the Happy Couple!
As for the Mother of the Bride, equally as elegant as her daughter. Do check out Carole Middleton's company www.partypieces.co.uk, which has had quite a bit of media coverage since the announcement of her daughter's engagement.  It's full of useful tips on throwing children's parties and has some very insightful parenting blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment